Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 68 Dexy's Midnight Runners "My National Pride"

Using Brum beat as a good reason / excuse to put up a song by the mighty Dexy’s.

They say never meet your heroes, and they are probably right. Mind you, I met Kevin Rowland at a media do for EMI ‘Director’s Cut’ reissue of this album. Having kept my cool for the first, oh, 30 seconds or so, I found myself welling up as I tried to tell him how much this song in particular meant to me – Irish heritage blah blah blah. I think he was genuinely taken aback by my fanboy gushing, but not unhappy. I ended up talking to him and his lovely (though mad) missus for a good while and giving him some insightful tips based on my judgement as a music business professional (“Make some more records – they’d be great!” etc)

He went off to the bar after a while, but when I went to leave, I heard a voice behind me shout “Hey, John” I turned around and Kev (as I now know him) told me to “look after yourself, alright?”

I know it's all a bit Nick Hornby, but it the best moments of my time in the music biz.



No comments:

Post a Comment