Saturday, February 26, 2011

Days 31-35 Bill Evans “Peace Piece”

I've been offline for a number of days. After the earthquake hit Christchurch, I headed down there with Susan to help Susan's mum & brother out a little. I've been all over the globe, to all sorts of strange and supposedly dangerous places. I never thought I'd be in a disaster zone in Shirley. We shovelled silt, emptied the house of furniture, and were continully spooked by aftershocks. Christ only knows what it must have been like to go through the big one, and to have to try and rebuild.

I won't add to the lake of ink being used to point out that there was a real spirit of solidarity amongst the people down there, although that struck me too. To adopt a friend's Bertold Brecht quote “everyone needs help from everyone”, and that's how it seems to me there right now.

Needless to say, thinking about music seems superfluous at the moment, as do most other things. The most appropriate thing to wish those still toughing it out down there is some peace – peace from the shaking, peace of mind. So here's a little. Good luck, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment